Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mexico City Part Dos--The altars

There were a whole bunch of altars running up and down the Paseo de La Reforma. These were there the first night I got there, so I wandered out and took pictures of them.
I liked this one a lot.It was supposed to be the hanging gardens where you can get a boat to row you around, like in Venice. I went there the last time,and it was nice. You can buy food from other boats, and there are Mariachi bands that float around, and will play whatever you want.

Front view of the Xochimilco boat.
This altar was dedicated to dead celebrities.





Apparantly, there's a big thing to make pictures with the marigolds on the ground. Some people just splash the petals all over, but some, like this person, will make an elaborate picture with the flowers.




This whole things is made from flowers!


This is a very nice sugar skull. It was huge like the size of a human skull, and had fancy decorations.




Skeletons need to get liquored up too.


There was a string that you could pull to get this skeleton to rise up. I pulled it and it broke, WHOOPS. No one saw me. I didn't do it on purpose!


A wanna be Xochomilco boat. Not anywhere close as good as the other one.


More fun with flowers.





I love these paper cut outs. Some have funny things on them, like skeleton cats dancing.












Made from fowers. All that red is carnation petals.






This altar stretch was long, it went on for like 6 blocks.

No comments: